Vayikra (Leviticus) 19:16-17:
(16) “Do not go slandering among your people. Do not stand against the blood of your neighbor. I am יהוה.
(17) Do not hate your brother in your heart. Reprove your neighbor, for certain, and bear no sin because of him.”
The word “hate,” as seen in the preceding verse, is derived from the Hebrew word “sane” שׂנא (H8130 – saw-nay) meaning “to hate (personally), enemy, foe, (be) hate (-ful, -r), odious, X utterly.” It is often translated as “unloved or hated.”
The literal picture is “the pressing/consuming of the leader’s heir/son.” Messiah is the heir/son of Yahweh. The Hebrew letter aleph can also be understood as the “strength of Yahweh.” So if you consume the strength of Yahweh’s son, you are destroying love (one of Yeshua/Yahushua’s most taught messages) which ends in hate. It is much like the Hebrew word “shalom” where the meaning is the resultant of a “pressing or consuming.”
First occurrence of the word “hate”
Beresheit (Genesis) 24:60: And they blessed Ribqah (Rebekah) and said to her, “Let our sister become the mother of thousands of ten thousands, and let your seed possess the gates of those who hate them.
– It may appear as a slightly weird way to bless, young Ribqah is about to embark on a journey to become wife of Yitschaq (Isaac) and mother of Ya’aqov (Jacob) and Esau, and yet it is fitting because it reflects the blessing of Avraham and His seed.
Other instances of hate:
Shemoth (Exodus) 20:4-6:
(4) “You do not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of that which is in the heavens above, or which is in the earth beneath, or which is in the waters under the earth,
(5) you do not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, יהוה your Elohim am a jealous Ěl, visiting the crookedness of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
(6) but showing kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and guard My commands.
Vayikra (Leviticus) 26:14-17:
(14) ‘But if you do not obey Me, and do not do all these commands,
(15) and if you reject My laws, or if your being loathes My right-rulings, so that you do not do all My commands, but break My covenant,
(16) I also do this to you: And I shall appoint sudden alarm over you, wasting disease and inflammation, destroying the eyes, and consuming the life. And you shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.
(17) ‘And I shall set My face against you, and you shall be smitten before your enemies. And those who hate you shall rule over you, and you shall flee when no one pursues you.
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 7:9-10:
(9) “And you shall know that יהוה your Elohim, He is Elohim, the trustworthy Ěl guarding covenant and kindness for a thousand generations with those who love Him, and those who guard His commands,
(10) but repaying those who hate Him to their face, to destroy them. He does not delay to do so with him who hates Him, He repays him to his face.
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 12:31: “Do not do so to יהוה your Elohim, for every abomination which יהוה hates they have done to their mighty ones, for they even burn their sons and daughters in the fire to their mighty ones.
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 21:15-17:
(15) “When a man has two wives, one loved and the other unloved, and they have borne him children, both the loved and the unloved, and the first-born son is of her who is unloved,
(16) then it shall be, on the day he makes his sons to inherit his possessions, he is not allowed to treat the son of the beloved wife as first-born in the face of the son of the unloved, who is truly the first-born.
(17) “But he is to acknowledge the son of the unloved wife as the first-born by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength – the right of the first-born is his.
Tehellim (Psalms ) 11:5: יהוה tries the righteous, But His being shall hate the wrong And the one who loves violence.
Overall there are over 130 different examples of the Hebrew word “sane” in the scriptures. Blessings were given to those unrighteously hated or unloved and punishment and persecution to those who committed abominations against the Almighty and His peoples. Walk in paths of righteousness, avoid following after idol worship (in all its forms), and dwell in the love and safety of Our Creator and Savior. Shalom Aleichem.