Yochanan (John) 14:6: Yahushua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.
The are many wonderful concepts to explore in the Messiah’s words, but our focus in this word study is the phrase “the way.” The phrase “the way,” or most importantly the word “way” is derived from the Hebrew word “derek” (ha derek – “the way):
‘Derek” דֶּרֶךְ (H1870 – deh’·rek) means “way, road, distance, journey, manner, habit, course of life (fig.), of moral character (fig.)” It is derived from the Hebrew word “darak” (H1869) meaning “to march, to lead, to step in line.”
If we examine the pictographical origins of the Hebrew word “derek” we come up with “man’s open movement” or the “allowed movement of the beginning.” The way is the path, made for man to walk from the beginning, which leads to the Father.
The first scriptural instance of “derek”:
Beresheit (Genesis) 3:24: So he drove out the man; and he placed Kerubim at the east of the garden of `Eden, and the flame of a sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.
– “The way” to the tree of life was laid out by the Father was established in His commands to Adam and Eve, and all it required was obedience:
Beresheit (Genesis) 2:15-17:
(15) Yahweh Elohim took the man, and put him into the garden of `Eden to dress it and to keep it.
(16) Elohim commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat:
(17) but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat of it you will surely die.”
– So when we see the phrase “the way,” it is beckoning us to remember the original path to life, long life, and an intimate relationship with the Father in peace and security. What a comforting feeling to know that that is what Yahushua is telling us when he says “I am the way,” for truly He is the only way back to the Father and thus himself.
Other notable scriptural instances of the way:
Beresheit (Genesis) 18:19: For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of Yahweh, to do justice and judgment; that Yahweh may bring upon Avraham that which he has spoken of him.
Shemoth (Exodus) 13:21-22:
(21) And Elohim went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
(22) He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.
Shemoth (Exodus) 18:20: And you shall teach them ordinances and laws, and shall show them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.
There are many more examples of the phrase “the way” that have many implications on the 4 levels of scriptural understanding, I beseech you to search them out, expand your knowledge, and apply them to your everyday life. I pray that you are blessed in your walk in the way, may Our Loving Father bless you in your journey in truth and set you on the paths of righteousness. Shalom Aleichem.