Beresheit (Genesis) 1:1: In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth. (Beresheit bara Elohim et ha shamayim v’et ha aretz)
The Almighty Father laid the foundations of Creation in the first verse of Beresheit – Yahweh created the Word and 2 Witnesses to His esteem, the heavens and the earth. Together, let us discover the truth of these two witnesses of Most High.
Beresheit (Genesis) 2:1-4:
(1) Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their array.
(2) And on the seventh day Elohim completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.
(3) And Elohim blessed the seventh day and set it apart, because on it He rested from all His work which Elohim in creating had made.
(4) These are the births of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that יהוה Elohim made earth and heavens.
– Only after creating the support system for all of His creation did Yahweh rest. Hence the reason that they stand as an eternal witness, they were created as the place where life flourish. It is also the reason why it is necessary for them to be destroyed in the day of judgment – reversing the course of the world to “renew” creation like a farmer burning his field to fertilize it for the next growing season.
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 4:25-26:
(25) When you shall father children, and children’s children, and you shall have been long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make an engraved image in the form of anything, and shall do that which is evil in the sight of Yahweh your Elohim, to provoke him to anger;
(26) I call heaven and eretz (Earth/Land) to witness against you this day, that you shall soon utterly perish from off the land whereunto you go over the Yarden to possess it; you shall not prolong your days on it, but shall utterly be destroyed.
– Being two standing witness until the end of time, the heavens and earth are often called as witness against the deeds of men. Here Mosheh (Moses) is not only telling the Children of Yisra’el the curse that comes from idolatry, sin, and disobedience, but that they certainly will commit atrocities to Yahweh like the heathens of the lands they traveled through
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 10:14: “Behold, the heavens and the heaven of the heavens is Yahweh your Elohim’s, the earth also and all therein.
– This goes along with the idea of the Heavens serves as Yahweh’s throne and the Earth is His footstool. It all belongs to Him because He created it.
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 19:15: One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
– Yahweh set up the greater patterns in the cycles of life so that we may see and understand. We have the Heavens and the Earth that stand as an eternal witness against man. So it is with man – at least two witness are necessary to establish truth in any matter amongst men.
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 30:19: “I call heaven and eretz (Earth/Land) to witness against you this day, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse: therefore choose life, that you may live, you and your seed;”
– The Torah of Yahweh was never meant to be salvation – it was meant to be life! Ponder that for a second, forget the usual religion against religion rhetoric – the Torah (which comes from the Hebrew word “yarah” which means “to hit the mark”) was meant to give you a path to a long blessed life! Mosheh was giving the Children of Yisra’el an ultimatum because Yahweh had already told Him that they would go astray, but He still had made a path for them to come back – salvation through Yahushua the Messiah!
Devarim (Deuteronomy) 32:1: “Give Ear, O you heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.”
– As was customary when making an oath or binding proclamation, a person would call forth witnesses (heavens and earth) as justification and eternal covenant between a peoples and Elohim.
Yirmeyahu (Jeremiah) 10:11: “Thus shall you say to them, The idols that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens.”
– More instances of the punishment for idolatry and idol worship – Death which penalty of sin and unrighteousness.
Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 1:2: Hear, O Heavens, give ear O earth: For Elohim has spoken, I have nourished and brought up children, and they have rebelled against me.
– This is confirmation of what Mosheh warned the Children of Yisra’el about back in Devarim 30 – 32. After years of disobedience, the curse was placed upon them and they were taken into captivity. Many were then dispersed and never saw the “Promised Land” ever again.
Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 13:13: “Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of Yahweh of hosts, and in the of his fierce anger.”
Yo’el (Joel) 3:16: “Yahweh also shall roar out of Tziyon, and utter His voice from Yerushalayim; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but Elohim will be the hope of His people, and the strength of the children of Yisra’el.”
cHaggai (Haggai) 2:6: For thus says Yahweh of Hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land;
-These three are reference to the end times and hope of the faithful for the coming of the King and the Wedding Feast of the Lamb!
Mishlé (Psalms) 50:4: He shall call to the heavens above, and to the earth, that He may judge His people.
– Again, the heavens and the earth are called to be witness to the deeds of men, deeds which the righteous judge shall judge and prove His elect.
Mishlé (Psalms) 102:25: Of old have you laid the foundations of the earth: and the heavens are the work of your hands
– This is a beautiful pointer back to Beresheit – back to the beginning and Elohim’s wondrous creation!
Mattityahu (Matthew) 5:17-18:
(17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill*. (* “fulfill” comes from the Greek word “plēroō” (G4137 – plā-ro’-ō) meaning “to make full, to fill up, i.e. to fill to the full,” not to destroy or end by completion as usually asserted.)
(18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mattityahu (Matthew) 24:34-36, Marços (Mark) 13:30-32, Luços (Luke) 21:32-34:
(34) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
(35) Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
(36) But of that day and hour, no man knows, no, not even the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
– Yahweh’s Torah can not be undone by the son! He set up eternal witnesses to His words – hence the usage of the phrase “until heaven and earth pass away.” Ultimately, I mean this not as an opportunity for argument over the Torah’s relevance for today, but as testimony to Yahweh’s usage of the heavens and the earth as His witnesses.
Kepha ב (2nd Peter) 3:7: “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and the perdition of unrighteous men.”
Chazon/Hitgalut (Revelation) 14:7: Saying with a loud voice, Fear Elohim, and give esteem to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
– The final two verses gain point us to the calling of the heavens and the earth as witnesses, even unto the days of judgment! Days of which no man knows the hour, but days that were nonetheless ordained since the days of creation. Truly Yahweh knew the “End from the beginning!”
Our Eternal Almighty Father created all for His esteem and set up the Heavens and the Earth as His witnesses, and thus set up patterns that serve as guides for all mankind! They will stand in witness until the days of Judgment when the Great King returns to take His rightful throne with His bride – the body of Messiah! May you blessed as you study more of the precious themes and jewels of His word. Shalom Aleichem!