No man goes into battle without protection, weapons and armor, the same is true with us in spiritual warfare. Yahweh has given us the template and the tools to wage war against those things we cannot see, hear, or touch/feel. Let us examine the scriptures to uncover this mighty protection – the Armor of the Almighty!
Pattern in the Heavens:
As it related to the tabernacle in the wilderness, the Apostle Sha’ul (Paul) explains that all was made as an “example and shadow of heavenly things.” (Heb 8:5) So too are the implements of Spiritual warfare – Yahweh shows us the pattern of what is pre-existent in the shamayim (heavens).
Yeshayahu (Isaiah) 59:17: For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloak.
– Yahweh is the Master of all of these things – righteousness, salvation, vengeance and zeal. To us, they are seemingly abstract concepts, and yet in the Hand of the Almighty, they can be used as tools of war. These concepts will be broken down a little further in the exposition of Ephesians 6.
Tehellim (Psalms) 35:1-3:
(1) Contend, Yahweh, with those who contend with me. Fight against those who fight against me.
(2) Take hold of shield and buckler, And stand up for my help.
(3) Brandish the spear and block those who pursue me. Tell my soul, “I am your yeshu`ah.”
– Yahweh is our help! He gladly contends with those who contend against His faithful and obedient servants. He will take hold of the implements of war – the shield, buckler, and spear/sword, to defend those whom He loves. What a beautiful picture of love and sacrifice for His set-apart ones. Now let’s see how that translate to us today!
Spiritual Weapons Yesterday and Today:
So we have established the heavenly pattern, let’s see how that related to the peoples of Messiah’s time and to us today:
Eph’siyim (Ephesians) 6:13-19:
(13) Therefore, put on the whole armor of Elohim, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand.
(14) Stand therefore, having the belt of truth buckled around your waist, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
(15) and having fitted your feet with the preparation of the Good News of shalom;
(16) above all, taking up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.
(17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of Elohim;
(18) with all prayer and requests, praying at all times in the Spirit, and being watchful to this end in all perseverance and requests for all the set-apart ones:
(19) on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in opening my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the Good News…
Tas’loniqim א (1 Thessalonians) 5:8: But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
– Sha’ul (Paul) relates to us the Armor of the Almighty in Ephesians and 1 Thessalonians in 6 parts (plus 2 from Yeshayahu):
1) Helmet – both Yeshayahu and Sha’ul refer to the helmet as the “helmet of salvation” – this is a very fitting description because our salvation is a covering over us. (For more information see the study Headship – The Order of Authority) Messiah died so that we could be restored as His virgin bride, and if we cling to Him, then Yahweh’s salvation will protect us from defilement so as long as we walk in the Father’s love and statutes. In Thessalonians, Sha’ul slightly changes the wording to “the hope of salvation” – this is just as fitting because salvation is something to be “worked out with fear and trembling.” (Philippians 2:12) It points to the days following the judgment which we in all hope leads to eternal salvation and eternal life, not the second death!
2) Breastplate – both Yeshayahu and Sha’ul refer to the breastplate as the “breastplate of righteousness.” Righteousness, according to the pattern in the Scriptures, is accounted to those who believe in Elohim, are obedient to His Word and walk in His ways. Righteousness should be a daily striving for all who believe! If our focus is on Yahweh and His son Yahushua, there will be nothing to distract us or to cause us to stumble. In Thessalonians, Sha’ul refers to it as the “breastplate of faith and love.” This is just as fitting, for faith and love are the precursors to righteousness – you cannot achieve righteousness without faith/belief and love for the Father, only with these can you be obedient and hear His word!
3) Belt/Girdle – Sha’ul refers to the belt as the “belt of truth.” Truth, a key foundation on which we should stand, cause us to be secure and confident in our words and to walk upright before Yahweh. It is the light that dispels darkness and the opposition to the words of the Adversary (which are lies)!
4) Clothing – Yeshayahu refers to Yahweh being clothed with “garments of vengeance.” This is a portion of the heavenly armor that we cannot wear, for vengeance does not belong to us –
Romiyim (Romans) 12:19: Don’t seek revenge yourselves, beloved, but give place to Elohim’s wrath. For it is written, “Vengeance belongs to me; I will repay, says Yahweh.”
Iv’rim (Hebrews) 10:30: For we know him who said, “Vengeance belongs to me,” says Yahweh, “I will repay.” Again, “Elohim will judge his people.”
Mattiyahu (Matthew) 5:4 & Luços (Luke) 6:27: But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you…
5) Cloak – Yeshayahu refers to Yahweh as wearing a cloak of zeal. While it is not mentioned in Sha’ul, we should be zealous for Yahweh’s Torah, His righteousness, and His Kingdom. We may not be able to achieve a “pure enough level of spirituality” to be zealous enough to be covered in it, hence Sha’ul’s omission, but we should strive to be zealous for Yahweh like Phinechas (Phineas) was for the Torah and His Elohim.
6) Footwear – Sha’ul refers to “fitting your feet with the preparation of the Good News of shalom” as a type of footwear. It speaks to the “Great Commission,” we should be focused on proclaiming the Good News to the nations:
Mattityahu (Matthew) 10:5-10:
(5) Yahushua sent these twelve out, and charged them, saying, “Don’t go among the Goyim, and don’t enter into any city of the Shomeronim.
(6) Rather, go to the lost sheep of the house of Yisra’el.
(7) As you go, preach, saying, ‘The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!’
(8) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons. Freely you received, so freely give.
(9) Don’t take any gold, nor silver, nor brass in your money belts.
(10) Take no bag for your journey, neither two coats, nor shoes, nor staff: for the laborer is worthy of his food.
7) Shield – Sha’ul refers to the shield as the “shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.” The shield and the buckler are also mentioned by the Psalmist in 35:1-3, a weapon in which Yahweh comes to our aid. Faith, if founded on the Messiah and the promise of Everlasting life, can be a powerful tool against the Adversary. It must be patient, unwavering, and ready to stand the test.
8) Sword– Finally, Sha’ul refers to the sword as “the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of Elohim.” The Word of Yahweh is one of the most powerful weapons against any foe – corporeal or spiritual. It is a blueprint for life, it is life, it is truth, it is the way, and the Son of Elohim is the Word made flesh! If we live by it, if we allow Yahweh to write it on our inward parts, then we will never stray nor meet tribulation that we cannot conquer. There is no reason to fear nor doubt with the Word of Yahweh in our mouths! Baruch Ha Shem Yahweh!
We have a Mighty Elohim, Yahweh of Host, who is our help in all things. He has given us a template in the heavenlies of powerful tools that can defeat the powers of the Adversary – the Armor of the Almighty, the Armor of Elohim! I pray that you are blessed by this study, and that you take up your armor as we walk forward to the Kingdom of Yahweh. Shalom Aleichem!