Squatters of Yisra’el
Almighty Yahweh tells Father Avraham (Abraham) that he is giving him a handsome land, one that is currently occupied. Which begs the question: Who are these people and why are they being evicted from the land?
Beresheit (Genesis) 15:18-21 – On the same day יהוה made a covenant with Aḇram, saying, “I have given this land to your seed, from the river of Mitsrayim to the great river, the River Euphrates,
(19) with the Qĕynite, and the Qenizzite, and the Qaḏmonite,
(20) and the Ḥittite, and the Perizzite, and the Repha’im,
(21) and the Amorite, and the Kenaʽanite, and the Girgashite, and the Yeḇusite.”
Shemoth (Exodus) 3:8 – “And I have come down to deliver them from the hand of the Mitsrites, and to bring them up from that land to a good and spacious land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Kenaʽanites and the Ḥittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Ḥiwwites and the Yeḇusites.
The Sons of Ham (Kena’anites/Canaanites):
– Kena’an and His sons are cursed due to the events of Beresheit(Genesis) 9:22-27:
Beresheit (Genesis) 9:22-26:
(22) And Ḥam, the father of Kenaʽan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside.
(23) So Shĕm and Yepheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and went backward and covered the nakedness of their father, but their faces were turned away, and they did not see their father’s nakedness.
(24) And Noacḥ awoke from his wine, and he knew what his younger son had done to him,
(25) and he said, “Cursed is Kenaʽan, let him become a servant of servants to his brothers.”
(26) And he said, “Blessed be יהוה, the Elohim of Shĕm, and let Kenaʽan become his servant.
(27) “Let Elohim enlarge Yepheth, and let him dwell in the tents of Shĕm. And let Kenaʽan become his servant.”
– The implications and understanding, based on current times and culture, may not be clearly understood. You may be thinking: “Noach (Noah) cursed his own son for seeing him naked!” The phrase “saw the nakedness of his father” and “uncovered the nakedness of his father” are euphemisms/idiomatic expressions which are exclusive to the Hebrew language. In many respects, it means that Ham had sexual relations with His father’s wife(whether it was his mother or not we do not know). In the Torah, it is expressly forbidden to expose the nakedness of your kindred:
Vayyiqra (Leviticus) 18:6-8 –
(6) ‘No one is to approach anyone of his own flesh to uncover his nakedness. I am יהוה.
(7) ‘The nakedness of your father or the nakedness of your mother you do not uncover. She is your mother, you do not uncover her nakedness.
(8) ‘The nakedness of your father’s wife you do not uncover, it is your father’s nakedness.
Furthermore it is not truly understood whether Kena’an was the product of that activity or already alive, and yet it really doesn’t matter. The sins of the Father are carried out throughout the generations and with Kena’an being Ham’s firstborn, the sin would be upon him and his seed.
Who are they?
Qĕynites(Kenites) – From H7017 qêynı̂y קיני meaning “smiths.” This is the tribe from which the father-in-law of Mosheh (Yithro/Jethro). They lived in the area between southern Palestine and the mountains of Sinai.
– the name is derived from H7069 qânâh קנה meaning “to erect/create, purchase, possess, and even to provoke to jealousy.” The same is the root for the name Qayin (Cain).
Qenizzite(Kenizzites) – “Decendants of Qenaz/Kenaz.” From H7073 qenaz קנז meaning “hunt/hunter,” one of the canaanitsh tribes.
Qaḏmonite(Kadmonites) – From H6935 qadmônı̂y קדמני meaning “easterners,” a people who occupied the land of Canaan when Yahweh promised it to Avram.
– name derived from the primitive root H6923 qâdam קדם meaning “the place of the rising son or rising sun of blood.”
Perizzites – From H6522 perizzı̂y פּרזּי meaning “an inhabitant of the open country” one of the Canaanitish tribes.
– name derived from H6518 pârâz פּרז meaning “to separate or decide” also “an unwalled city or village.”
Repha’im(Rephaims) – From H7497 râphâ’ /râphâh רפה / רפא meaning “giants,” a tribe of giants of undetermined size and origin.
– name derived from the H7495 raph meaning “to heal, medicine, or sick.”
Kena’anites(Canaanites) – From H3669 kena‛anı̂y כּנעני meaning “zealous,” the descendants of Kena’an(Canaan) and those collectively which live in the lands west of the Yarden. This moniker could possibly substitute for the descendants of Tsidon, first born of Kena’an, or those of Kena’an’s lineage that were not directly named.
– name derived from H3667 kena‛an כּנען meaning “lowland,” the 4th son of Ham and the father of the Phoenicians and the various nations who settled west of the River Yarden (Jordan)
Ḥittites/cHittites(Hittites) – From H2850 chittı̂y חתּי meaning “descendants of the Heth,” the 2nd son of Kena’an. They dwelt in central Anatolia (modern Turkey) and later in northern Lebanon.
– name derived from H2845 chêth חת meaning “terror.”
Yebusites – From H2982 yebus יבוּס meaning “threshing place,” the 3rd son of Kena’an. They dwelt in and near present day Yerushalyim(Jerusalem).
– name is derived from the primitive root H947 bus בּוּס meaning “to tread down, reject, trample down.”
Amorites – From H567 ‘ĕmôrı̂y אמרי meaning “a sayer,” one of the peoples east of Canaan and beyond the River Yarden (Jordan River), descendants of the 4th son of Kena’an
– name derived from primitive root H559 ’amar אָמַר meaning “to say, speak, utter, to answer, to say in one’s heart, to think, to boast, to act proudly, etc.”
Girgashites/Girgasites – From H1622 girgâshı̂y גּרגּשׁי meaning “dwelling on a clayey soil,” descendants of the 5th son of Kena’an, who lived east of the sea of Galil(Galilee)
Hiwwites/cHiwwites (Hivites) – From H2340 chivvı̂y חוּי meaning “a villager,” descendants of the 7th son of Kena’an
– name derived H2333 chavvâh חוּה meaning “life-giving, that is a living place’ by implication an encampment or village.”
The sons of Kena’an, and all those who married into their tribe, suffered from the curse of their forefathers. Noach’s word was held bound and permeated throughout the generations, much like the words given to the Talmadim by our Messiah:
Mattityahu (Matthew) 16:19: “And I shall give you the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever you bind1 on earth shall be having been bound1 in the heavens, and whatever you loosen1 on earth shall be having been loosened1 in the heavens.” Footnote: 1Binding and loosening is Heḇrew idiom for exercising authority (to prohibit and permit).