In Mattityahu (Matthew) chapter 12, Messiah poses an interesting question to His talmidim (apostles/ “taught ones”), and for that matter, to us – the Body of Messiah:
Mattityahu (Matthew) 12:46-50:
(46) While he was yet speaking to the multitudes, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, seeking to speak to him.
(47) One said to him, “Behold, your mother and your brothers stand outside, seeking to speak to you.”
(48) But he answered him who spoke to him, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”
(49) He stretched out his hand towards his talmidim, and said, “Behold, my mother and my brothers!
(50) For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.”
– The pull of “biology” is quite undeniable for mankind. Our instincts as a species, generally speaking, are unlike many others on this Earth – we cling to our biological families. Most in the animal kingdom, once weaned from their mothers, are left to fend for themselves because the driving instinct in the animal kingdom is to reproduce or continue the species. While some have a herd mentality and stay together in family units, others move on and never see their families again.
– Messiah, being perfect in His observance of the commands, statutes, and right-rulings of the Torah, was not dishonoring the commands of the Torah to dishonor His mother, for it says:
Shemoth (Exodus) 20:12: “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Yahweh you Elohim gives you.
Shemoth (Exodus) 21:17: “Anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death.
Vayyikra (Leviticus) 19:3: “‘Each one of you shall respect his mother and his father. You shall keep my Shabbatot (Plural of Shabbat – “Sabbaths”). I am the Yahweh your Elohim.”
– Yahushua is making a valid point, one which we need to embrace – the family we should cling to are those who do the will of Yahweh, our Father in Heaven.
Mattityahu (Matthew) 10:34-40:
(34) “Don’t think that I came to send shalom on the eretz (Earth or “land). I didn’t come to send shalom (peace), but a sword.
(35) For I came to set a man at odds against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
(36) A man’s foes will be those of his own household.
(37) He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me isn’t worthy of me.
(38) He who doesn’t take his cross and follow after me, isn’t worthy of me.
(39) He who finds his life will lose it; and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.
(40) He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives him who sent me.
Mattityahu (Matthew) 19:29: Everyone who has left houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive one hundred times, and will inherit eternal life.
– It is the Body of Messiah, those who follow after Him and keep His commands, whom is our “family” when we begin to walk as Yahushua did in the ways of His father. When we die with him we become co-heirs with him and children of Elohim:
Romayim (Romans) 8:13-17:
(13) For if you live after the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
(14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of Elohim, these are children of Elohim.
(15) For you didn’t receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
(16) The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of Elohim;
(17) and if children, then heirs; heirs of Elohim, and joint-heirs with Messiah; if indeed we suffer with him, that we may also be glorified with him.
– We, as a people, are so “hung up” on satisfying the flesh, and yet it is the spirtual walk in faith that we are called to focus on. The Father promises you that the needs of the Flesh will be added unto you if you focus on forwarding His Kingdom on Earth.
Mattityahu (Matthew) 6:31-33:
(31) “Therefore don’t be anxious, saying, ‘What will we eat?’, ‘What will we drink?’ or, ‘With what will we be clothed?’
(32) For the Goyim seek after all these things, for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
(33) But seek first Elohim’s Kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things will be given to you as well.
– Yahweh seeks those who will follow in Spirit and truth. That is how you will know who is a member of the Body, and thus, your “family.”
Yochanan (John) 4:23-24:
(23) But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such to be his worshippers.
(24) Elohim is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
Who is my mother? Who is my brother? Who is my family? Messiah said it simply: ” He stretched out his hand towards his talmidim, and said, “Behold, my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother.” The Body of Messiah is the family we should cling to, depend upon, and rejoice in all things. As said by the emissary Sha’ul –
Eph’siyim (Ephesians) 4:15-25:
(15) but speaking truth in love, we may grow up in all things into him, who is the head, Messiah;
(16) from whom all the body, being fitted and knit together through that which every joint supplies, according to the working in measure of each individual part, makes the body increase to the building up of itself in love.
(17) This I say therefore, and testify in the Master, that you no longer walk as the rest of the Goyim also walk, in the futility of their mind,
(18) being darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of Elohim, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardening of their hearts;
(19) who having become callous gave themselves up to lust, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
(20) But you did not learn Messiah that way;
(21) if indeed you heard him, and were taught in him, even as truth is in Yahushua:
(22) that you put away, as concerning your former way of life, the old man, that grows corrupt after the lusts of deceit;
(23) and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
(24) and put on the new man, who in the likeness of Elohim has been created in righteousness and holiness of truth.
(25) Therefore, putting away falsehood, speak truth each one with his neighbor. For we are members one of another.
“For we are members one of another.” Let us go forward, linked arm in arm, in spirit and truth down the paths of righteousness – One Body and One Spirit. For the Bridegroom is coming back for One Bride – Not many. May Yahweh bless you and increase you on your journey to Him.